Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A letter for adopt-a-things

Hello everyone!

I realize that many of the people who read this are family members and friends, but I know that there are a few of you out there in the adoption community who read this and I thought I would post this for you guys. I have long been (okay, for a year) irritated about the many local adopt-a-programs around where we live. The language is misguided and actually sort of insulting. I realize that it's simply a marketing gimmick intended to play on people's emotions giving them a sense of ownership and personal involvement in a program, but adoption is the sacred bond that formed my family, and I hate when I pass those many adopt-a-highway signs. I'm not taking that highway home and it isn't becoming part of my family.

I wrote a letter today to a local homeless shelter that has an adopt-a-family program that my church group has participated in and in which my family has intended to participate again this year. My inspiration was from the adoptive families website and this pdf including two extremely well written letters about adopt-a-programs. I felt like my letter was a little too close to those originals to post, but I hope that you'll read those and use them in your communities too!

By the way, the adoptive families website is a great resource! There are tons of resources for families formed through all kinds of adoption.

Enjoy!

No comments: