Okay, it wasn't the Polar Express. We've been a little obsessed with that movie over the past couple of years and so that's what we called this train. :o)
As part of our reading curriculum this year we are doing "Five in a Row," a curriculum that uses classic and modern children's books and has you read them every day for five days in a row. There are lots of possible activities for each book that cover social studies, science, math, art, etc. Early this fall we read, "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel" by Virginia Lee Burton. As part of that book we did some study on what a steam engine is and why we don't really see or use them anymore. With that in mind I was really really excited to be able to take everyone to ride on a real train with a real steam engine. It seemed fun AND educational. What could be BETTER?!
We arrived and walked up to the REAL train station. It was really exciting!
I hate to say that we read the sign AFTERWARDS that said, "Do not touch the car. Santa is watching." Ooops!
We boarded the train and started moving. The weather was really fantastic. It was a little chilly, but not cold and we were able to open the windows in the train.
Santa came around too. This was about as good as it got for pictures of everyone together.
When we got to the end of the line the engine drives to the other side of the train. The kids loved watching the engine pass by.
I forget how much water they put in the tank of the trains, but it's a LOT. I guess it takes quite a bit of water to make enough steam to move a locomotive. :o)
There were all kinds of other activities too. These little carts worked with hand cranks. This is serious awesome work for a kid with SPD. I wonder how much these would be to put in my backyard?!
We watched the trains for awhile. The people were amazing there. There were carolers and brass players all wearing period clothing. I love this photo my dad caught of the conductor.
...and while Daddy and Pawpaw took the big kids to do even more train stuff, Mawmaw and sweet little man and I explored the shops and waited for them to finish.
After that we went to an Amish restaurant nearby. Holy crow I am still thinking about those rolls. And the shoefly pie. Oh my goodness... What a FABULOUS day!!




No comments:
Post a Comment