Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Juno

I have always felt a bit skeptical when I see movies or tv shows, etc, on topics that I'm passionate about (religion, adoption, etc). I usually leave the theatre feeling as though the movie didn't do the topic justice, or worse, depicted it in a way that I felt was wrong, either because the movie ignored the facts or, in some cases, flat out mocked the topic. So I haven't seen any of the recent "adoption" themed movies (August Rush, Martian Child, Juno, etc.), simply because I wonder about the realistic portrayal of adoption in these films. Adoption is a sacred, solemn, very sad and joyful event and as much as I would love a movie to capture that, it seems that most fall short.

In all fairness, neither August Rush nor Martian Child were of much appeal to me, but Juno looks to be the sort of movie I usually enjoy (indie, cute, hand drawn credits at the beginning, etc). I have been debating whether or not to see it since it first came out (poor Lisa has heard me lament this several times). I've read online reviews (and I only found one about the movie from an adoption triad member's perspective) and I've read spoilers trying to decide whether or not this movie would be worth hiring a babysitter to see. (There seem to be very few resources on the web for this sort of research, although adoptive families magazine does have a few articles on some recent children's movies to skip or to see). My gut tells me to be leary of this movie, but my gut is wrong a lot of the time (it tells me to eat a lot more than it should).

Lucky for me, I received this article in my inbox this morning.

FYI... RESOLVE is The National Infertility Association and contains great resources for all aspects of infertility, as well as a few resources for infertiles exploring the adoption option. The article is written to prospective adopters as a target audience.

Here is a quote from the article:

"While this sort of blanket denial of the emotions of relinquishment in adoption
can at times be a realistic birthparent scenario, the fact that no adults in
this adoption—Juno’s parents, the prospective adoptive parents or the adoption
lawyer—urged her to seek counseling and really consider the gravity of the
decision she is making is another place where the film takes a blatant detour
from the reality of responsible adoption practice. To her fictional
credit, Juno’s stepmother does at least once offer her some counsel regarding
her actions, letting her know that her jaunts to the prospective adoptive
parent’s house to hang out are not appropriate. That is where any
realistic assistance to this pregnant teen and her huge decision to relinquish
her child ends...


A responsible approach on the part of the writers and
producers of this film would have been to include some sort of disclaimer
following the film, at least acknowledging its fictional portrayal of adoption
practice and urging those interested in adoption, future parents of both the
“birth” and “adoptive” ilk, to consult a qualified adoption professional.
As a cinematic experience Juno is funny, heart wrenching, and well acted, but
prospective adoptive parents should go in to it with the knowledge that it’s
portrayal of adoption practice is largely inaccurate, and should be prepared to
have their emotional heart strings, often already frayed by infertility and
disappointment, further tugged on."


So, that all being said... I'm still not sure whether or not I'm going to see the film, but I do feel much better knowing what I am getting into. It's sad to me that adoption is rarely, if ever, depicted realistically in the media, but perhaps that will change as time goes on. Adoption has come a long way in recent history (although it still has a long way to go, but that is a different post), so the media is bound to catch up sometime... I hope.

No comments: