Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas!
I love Christmas. Those of you in my family know that I get really excited this time of year. By this time, I've usually opened my gifts and am gearing up for our trip home. It seems like that's changed a little this year (like everything else). I'm still very excited about Christmas, but Brad won't let me open my gifts yet (he seems to think it's a bad example, but I say she won't remember...) and we're spending the holiday here.
I am still as excited as ever, maybe even more so. This year is our opportunity to start new traditions. I've been really trying to concentrate on making our house very homey this season. I know that sweet baby L won't remember this year, but I know that it will be very special for all of us.
Here's what is going on:
This is an advent calendar that Lisa and I made last year after Christmas. It's just a mini-muffin tin, painted and then magnets made for coverings. I know that I saw this in a magazine, maybe Paper Trends, but it was tons of fun to make. We've got caramel kisses in there. Yum!
I'm particularly proud of this idea for displaying Christmas cards. I've never had a proper display for them, and this year I really wanted to do something. I had to come up with something cheap, so I found this wonderful idea on the internet. I simply punched a hole in the end and tied them to the garland in our house (I already have waaaaaay too much ribbon sitting around here, it's my weakness). I think it's really nice and I find myself actually looking at the cards!
Having a baby has given me the motivation to learn everything I can about freezing. I find that it's just as easy for me to make two recipes of a dish, as it is to make one, and then I can freeze the dish for later. It has really made this holiday season easier, as I have been able to make most everything ahead and we have nice things to serve when people pop in or when we'd like to take something to someone else. These are French Breakfast Puffs from The Pioneer Woman Cooks. We're having them for Christmas morning breakfast, although having them sitting in the freezer, just 30 seconds away from piping hot and in my belly has been hard.
Okay I lied, I have opened one gift. Brad got me this awesome little crafty pattern book, The Cute Book. It's got patterns for lots of tiny felt characters. I plan on enlarging the patterns and making some larger dolls for sweet baby L's room. They really are really cute.
James has really gotten worn out from all of the cooking and un-decorating (our poor tree). All of that work makes him crave a little sun-spot where he can block out the world. I think he'd probably better enjoy this sort of thing now, because sweet baby L is starting to notice him as he walks around.
Merry Christmas, everyone! This is just a taste of what is going on at our house this season. We miss all of our friends and family so much. I can't wait to hear of all the fun things you're doing this holiday season. We'll be around if anyone would like to pop in, and stay tuned! TOMORROW is MONDAY and I'll be posting a weekly update on sweet baby L!





No comments:
Post a Comment