We had our regular biweekly appointment this week. I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, which is not uncommon for twin mommies and is also linked with PCOS so I'm not sure I had much of a shot of not having it. The doctor was not worried about it at all. I was very concerned about what foods I should be eating, etc, but the doctor put me at great ease. For now the plan is to try my best to eat whole grains rather than refined ones and just wait for my meeting with the dietitian on Tuesday. I have to admit that I'm rather afraid of the sheet that the doctor gave me to record my blood sugar seven times per day (yup, that's seven finger sticks...) but I'm really hopeful because he increased my medication for my PCOS which should help me out with the diabetes as well. At any rate, I'm 31 weeks pregnant now and even at seven sticks a day I'm only looking at seven more weeks tops. That is a major positive! I'm hoping my blood sugar will be so good that he'll let me test less often after my next visit. We'll see...
The twins are doing well. I got another passing grade for my exam. One good thing about gestational diabetes in my particular case is that it makes for big babies and I definitely need big babies. Baby B is smaller than his brother at 3 lbs 7 oz and Baby W is a big boy at 4 lbs 2 oz. Our surgeon told us that in order to do the surgery we need Baby B to weigh in at 4 lbs 4 oz, so we're getting close. That said, statistically the best outcomes are for babies 6 lbs and over, so that is still our goal. Besides, we need these babies to stay in as long as possible. We want those little lungs to be as mature as possible before their debut into the world. We will now start going to the doctor every week for a check. I'm excited to see how these babies grow in the coming weeks!
The week has really flown by! We've been getting ready for my mom to go back home for Christmas and for Brad's family to come to celebrate with us. I've been feeling that nesting urge and have been getting all of this energy with which I'm fairly certain I could have this entire house in tip top shape in a couple of days. Sadly... my energy cannot be used for actual work, but instead is used to make lists for Brad. He's a great sport about it though, he's cleaned out closets and is working hard on getting the twins' room ready. With only seven weeks to go and the chances of preterm labor so high, I'm getting nervous and wanting to get all of this done! I'm just very lucky to have the best husband in the world!
Now... onto the photos!
On Friday we decided to give my mom her Christmas gift early. She's done so much for us by sacrificing her regular life to come here and care for L and I while I'm on bedrest. I don't know what we'd have done without her. Her flight was scheduled to leave on Saturday morning, so we wanted to get her gift to her on Friday night.


L had a great time handing out the gifts and "helping" open them. She even had a great time helping Daddy take photos.

...including photos of mommy!

Don't worry, I laid down after that.
Friday night we were listening to the forecasters on tv calling for a big snowstorm. It wasn't supposed to be really all that bad and wasn't going to really hit until the next morning. We thought that we might be able to get my mom to the airport and in the air before the real snow started coming down. We were wrong. We had around six to eight inches when we woke up on Saturday and Mom's flight was canceled early anyhow. Her first available flight out was Monday afternoon, so we shut ourselves in and enjoyed watching the snow outside.
In the end we got around 22 inches. It's the first actual blizzard that I think any of us had been through, and since we had everything we needed in the house it was easy enough.
Today, we ventured out. Well... Brad and L ventured out. I think Brad was happy that he shoveled snow several times during the storm because digging out that much snow would really have been a challenge.

Brad managed to get a few photos of the pristine snow before it got all footprinted. :o) Our cars were completely buried.

Here's our backyard. Notice the snow is all the way up the peach tree and check out the table!

Brad and L had a blast. L went between wanting to be helped because the snow was so deep and also wanting to be set down and to do it herself. She wanted to stay out forever, but with all that snow, that poor baby was covered and she was COLD! She had an absolute blast playing in it though and I'm guessing it's going to be around a few days to play in some more!


Cheese!


I absolutely love that laugh-ey face.


I love how in this one you can tell that she tried to run up that hill but got stuck pretty early...

She knows what to do with snow... throw it at your daddy!

Here's the snow from our table.

Brad measured it at 22 inches.

...and finally it was time to come in. Miss L managed to wriggle snow into every layer of clothing she had on (and she had on a lot!) so that baby was COLD. We settled down and watched some signing time on the couch with some blankets. A perfect snowy Sunday!

Of course, because he's the best ever, Brad did dig out his car at lunchtime. I really really wanted a sub from the grocery store and he was happy to go see what was happening out in the world.


What a great guy!
No comments:
Post a Comment