August 22, 2012
We don't really have a backyard. I mean, we have a yard. In fact, if we count the "common area" behind our home we have quite a bit of green space. For some reason, though, it just isn't the sort of backyard I grew up with. There is no fence in our yard and I wouldn't dream of sending my kids out into it unattended. We certainly don't have a "park" (swingset) back there. (that's not to say that we don't live in a fantastic place with so much around that we aren't just BEYOND blessed) So when it gets hot I start to think about my childhood summers and I long to be at my parents where my kids can take a couple of weeks to soak in the heat and the dirt and just be kids without a plan. They can go into the backyard and swing or slide. They can pretend a multitude of things. They can invite cousins over to play, or just play on their own. They can strip down to their undies and have a popsicle after lunch. I love those summer days and I look forward to them each year. As we go about our planned and regimented lives I can look at this sweet photo of my son enjoying the summer just like I remember it.

1 comment:
i know what you mean, Sarah. that is why we moved from the 'burg to Hamilton. Now we have tons of yard for our children to run and play, yet so close in proximity to the other blessings living in NoVa brings.
Post a Comment