
Today is the 50th anniversary of the long walk made by Ruby Bridges through a horrific crowd to enter her newly integrated school in New Orleans. It's hard to believe that such a thing happened only 50 years ago. It's amazing that though I know we definitely do NOT live in a post-racial world, and though racism is pervasive and slimy and so subtle now, I can see how far a people can come in 50 years and it gives me hope for my children and my grandchildren 50 years from now.
As a parent, I can't imagine what Ruby Bridges's parents were thinking when they put her in that car with US Marshals destined for a crowd hurling despicable words and worse at her. It just makes me marvel at the bravery that her entire family showed. Somebody had to make the first step. It was very very ugly, but we wouldn't be where we are today without her.
Thanks Ruby Bridges (and her parents too)!
No comments:
Post a Comment