Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Homeschool!

March 5, 2013

We are continuing to work really well in this groove we've got going. Miss L is almost done with her handwriting book, "Handwriting Without Tears," and soon we'll just be concentrating on handwriting as it occurs. It's exciting to wrap this up! We've loved the program and miss L does a great job writing even though she has some trouble with her grip and her hands get very tired. I'm hoping that as she gains strength this will work itself out (and I hold my pencil incorrectly and though my hands do tire as I write, it isn't a daily hindrance in my life).



 We planted a bean! It's just a kidney bean but my plan is to observe it and to document its progress in our science journal. 

 I love our math program too. We're using Right Start math. It isn't perfect, but I really like it. I chose it because it didn't have many worksheets and was really involved between parent and child. I also like that it's a spiral curriculum, meaning each lesson builds on the one before. The drawbacks were also the assets. We had to really work on a few concepts because we knew we'd need them in the future before moving on and it was a big commitment for us to sit down and do the lessons together. Of course, the most important element of any curriculum is whether or not it was right for miss L and it most certainly is. She loves math and I have to say that she's pretty good at it!

This particular day we were working on symmetry. She cut out the shapes and then was to find the lines of symmetry with the georeflector (that red thing). 




She also spent some time playing a game where I would put in a number on the abacus and she would find the tens and ones cards to make the number. It's great for visual processing too. 



No comments: