Monday, August 6, 2012

Peach Picking 2012

The first time I remember eating a juice-running-down-to-your-elbow, so-sweet-you-can-hardly-stand-it peach was while I was spending the night at my sister-in-law's parent's house. We stopped there while traveling and the next morning her dad just happened to be dishing them up. I was hooked. Now peach time is the time I look forward to each year. The grocery store peaches just aren't the same as the farmer's market peaches and so we wait and wait for them to arrive and stuff ourselves silly when they come.

The past couple of years we've made a tradition of picking our own peaches at a local(ish) orchard. On Saturday the 28th we headed out there and though it was very hot, we got busy picking.

The best part of picking (of course) is always the tasting and all three kids enjoyed themselves!




(don't worry, I was watching him!)




It was hot. Well... it was really humid and a little bit hot so miss L and mister W found some shade. It looks like miss L found more shade than mister W did. :o)



Eventually we'd had enough. The peaches were easy to pick. We picked a peck's worth and most of those came from one tree. After that we had it in mind to pick raspberries and blackberries though the staff warned us that the raspberries were difficult picking and so we decided to abandon that. Poor Brad always gets stuck picking when it gets hard and so he took his place by the blackberry bushes and we headed for the giant shady tree.

Mister W was on his second peach and having had a taste already, sweet little man wanted in on that. I just wanted everyone to look at me and smile. :o) I'm not sure why I keep chasing that perfect photo except that I know that eventually it will happen! I think it's so funny how the kids all react though, and all at different times.


















Eventually sweet little man had enough of photos and started exploring the grass. He was NOT impressed when I would take every blade of grass that he carefully and deliberately pulled out of the ground. He was really upset when I would take it RIGHT WHEN IT GOT TO HIS MOUTH. I always tell my kids that I want to be fun, but I have to be responsible first. :o)


Mister W set about collecting sticks. These were his golf clubs and he brought some to me so that we could play together.




Then miss L had the idea to build a campfire and go camping. This was perfect! It kept the two of them entertained for ages. The sticks were used to make a tent, the fire (of course), the tools for our food, fishing rods. It was the best game EVER!


Then daddy was done. We spread our peaches out in the back of our car, headed to sonic for a drink and headed home to can some peaches and make some blackberry cobbler. 

No comments: