Sometime in mid-August, the day after I got the email that our favorite orchard was ready to offer pick your own tomatoes, we set out for the orchard and met our good friends there to pick tomatoes. The kids know this place by now. There are several farms that we try to visit, but this one is, "the one with the boat." There's a fabulous playground there and we always have to stop in for a few moments while they let off steam from the long car ride.
Then it's out to the field. It's ridiculous how excited I get about tomato picking. Brad and I don't really eat that many tomatoes (unlike mister W who eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner and regards them as his favorite) so we don't really use them for straight up eating, but since we started canning our own stuff they are a goldmine. These are $12 for a half bushel. I picked two half bushels and purchased two "seconds" half bushels. My total cost was $42 and we got over 100 pounds of tomatoes. That's seriously great AND these are organically grown (though not certified). Someday I'll have a large garden where I'm able to grow several tomato plants for canning, but for now this is a really great second to that.
It was hot that day and of course in the veggie garden where the tomatoes are it's full sun. There wasn't much of a breeze so rather than capture the moment we got to picking.
The girls enjoyed the camera. I thought they did pretty well considering that they were using the lens without auto-focus!
Mister W and one half bushel of tomatoes.
I think this is so funny. Miss L and miss C took photos of each other. I love the difference between miss L's photos and miss C's photos.
You can tell they are both unaccustomed to having their photo taken, right?
...And here's what poor sweet little man was doing. He's a sweater anyhow but it was hot that day, poor guy.
Then we were off to make our sauce!
No comments:
Post a Comment