Monday, June 25, 2012

VACATION! Friday (the last day...)

Around here, it seems that everyone visits the beach in the summer. Lots of families seem to have beaches that they visit annually. Growing up in the midwest that just wasn't a part of what we did. My family lived in Houston and I can remember visiting the gulf (and filling my mom's picnic basket with crabs!) but most of the beaches I frequented as a child were located on lakes.

Since we've moved here, we've been to the beach many times. The Community Band that we were a part of took an annual beach trip and we've visited both coasts quite a few times in the last few years. I wouldn't say that we're quite ready to commit to a yearly beach vacation, but I will say that I love the ocean and I want my kids to remember our family spending time there and hopefully they will not fill my picnic basket with crabs.

Friday morning we planned to visit the Atlantic beach in Florida. We'd already moved the trip from Wednesday to Friday due to a tropical storm and the weather forecast said 90% chance of Thunderstorms. I do have to say that I was skeptical about the weather but without a cloud in the sky we pressed on to the beach heading for Sebastian Inlet.

We stopped at a restaurant and bait shop on the way which could have been terrible, but it wasn't! It was very yummy and as clouds gathered we headed to the park where we were planning to play on the beach.

Sebastian Inlet has beaches on the ocean and also on the cove side of the barrier island. We were planning to see the ocean, but since the rip tide warnings were out we decided to stick with the cove. It was perfect! There was sand for digging and shallow water with tiny little waves for swimming. The last time we visited the ocean was with one child and I did think about how we were going to handle three kids in the surf. This was the best solution!

This was the trip for sweet little man to discover the water. The boy loves the pool and the ocean!




Mister W watches his sister do things all by herself and (of course) he wants to do it too. Sometimes he just isn't big enough, but it was nice that for that day he was able to do his own thing. The water was shallow enough that we didn't have to worry about him and there were no waves to pull him away. Yay!




Miss L was cold. :o) She enjoyed the water and helping her daddy build his sand castle. It was a great beach day!



The beach will wear you out though.


Moments after we got in the car and headed back to the house the storm started. It rained HARD! We made it back in one piece and all four kids slept the ride home. You know that means the trip was a success!

That night we went to Downtown Disney for just one last shopping trip. We tried for a group photo. This was the best we got!

We took one last trip to the "Dinosaur Restaurant" (and luckily, I think I won't need to return for another three years!) and one last look around.


Mister W found this Donald Duck hat at the World of Disney store. His pawpaw sprung for it and he still wears it all the time.


In fact, he wore it on the way home from the park. What a trip! We had a wonderful time with family and left beyond fulfilled. We'll have to plan another trip in a few years!



No comments: